Responding with compassionate action to the lost and those suffering.
“Each one of you should use whatever gifts you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace.” (1 Peter 4:10)
Our faith is strongest when we are sharing Jesus, and when in Jesus’ name we serve others out of compassion and genuine concern. Within Service and Mission we look to equip, encourage and provide opportunities to minister to others and serve in Jesus’ name. In a dark and broken world, we can be the light that brings hope and healing, because we come with Jesus.
What churches can do for;
- Encourage children and families to build friendships with people living near them.
- Provide opportunities and resources for families to serve others together — home; neighbourhood; church; world.
- Provide opportunities for children to respond with compassion and generosity.
- Provide resources and opportunities for children to share their faith story.
- Provide outreach opportunities with and for children.
- Encourage adults to build friendships with colleagues, members of interest clubs, and people living near them.
- Encourage and provide opportunities to serve as a church, through other community services in your community, or through ADRA Connections trips, StormCo trips.
- Coordinate compassionate and generous responses to social issue, and in response to natural emergencies.
- Create a culture of sharing one’s faith journey in your church community to encourage and support one another.
- Equip adults to share the hope found in Christ as they discover the needs of others they encounter
- Provide mission opportunities
How Families can Serve and Minister together
- Build friendships with people living near you, with families from school or your children’s sport clubs.
- Serve others together and with your wider church family — each other; your extended family; neighbourhood; church; world.
- Respond with compassion and generosity when you encounter need, and role model genuine concern to your children.
- Share your faith journey together, and celebrate what God is doing.
- As a family, chose to pray for and intentionally connect with someone in your extended family who doesn’t know Jesus.
- Engage in mission as appropriate to your children’s ages.
How Couples can Serve and Minister together
- Build friendships with neighbours and colleagues.
- Serve others together and with your wider church family — each other; extended family; neighbourhood; church; world.
- Engage in compassionate and generous responses to social issue, and in response to natural emergencies
- Share your faith journey with each other, and celebrate what God is doing.
- Intentionally connect with other couples to bring hope to their need in Christ.
“As families serve together, they grip a deeper understanding of one another and God. They find their faith more resilient and meaningful. Their children develop a faith that helps them stick to the church and to their beliefs into young adulthood.” (Diana Garland, Inside Out Families, 2011)