Opportunities for God to encounter, inspire, grow and challenge you.
“Joshua erected a monument at The Gilgal, using the twelve stones that they had taken from the Jordan. And then he told the People of Israel, “In the days to come, when your children ask their fathers, ‘What are these stones doing here?’ tell your children this: ‘Israel crossed over this Jordan on dry ground.’” (Joshua 4:19-22 The Message)
There are key times in life that stay with you forever. Some just happen, but many we can chose or facilitate. Memory events are great for building strong relationships, self-confidence, and resilience. When planned with God, these can have a major shaping effect which can help anchor our faith for a lifetime.
What churches can do for;
- Resource and equip homes to create special daily, weekly and yearly rituals and traditions.
- Be intentional about creating memory events for children and families at church such as Milestone celebrations, kids rallies, concerts and family camps.
- Support children as they participate in Conference wide memory events such as Camps.
- Provide events that allow children to respond to God’s call on their lives.
- Provide events that allow children to be inspired by people with a vibrant faith.
- Plan an ADRA Connections or StormCo trip.
- Create times for adults to create memory events such as church camps, fishing trips, coffee clubs, etc.
- As a church, support adults as they participate in Conference events like Bigcamps, Youth Rallies and Sports tournaments.
- Provide events that invite adults to contribute in the ways God has gifted them.
- As a church, consider sponsoring Godly people who can inspire and nurture the faith of others, so they can attend events alongside those growing.
Notable memory events within families
- Help children to interpret the “big things” in life through God’s eyes, and to see his faithfulness and goodness in them (whether enjoying a great view, having sickness in the family, etc).
- Celebrate special days, and create family traditions.
- Participate in Conference events like Bigcamp and family camp.
- Take yearly family holidays, perhaps serve together on them, and take time to reflect on God’s goodness over the past year.
Notable memory events within couples
- Create a culture within your marriage of giving the “big things” to God, and celebrating his faithfulness (buying / selling house, family planning, etc).
- Celebrate special days.
- Be present for each other in the hard times.
- Tackle big things together – renovate your house, do a charity ride or marathon, foster a child, climb a mountain, etc.
- Take yearly breaks together, and take time to reflect on God’s goodness over the past year.
“A Memory event is activity big enough to dominate a adolescent’s horizon, so that he or she becomes so fully immersed in the event they will never forget it or its message.” (Creating Memories for Teens, Wayne French, 2005)