Acknowledging, supporting and equipping those to whom God has given you the greatest influence.
“These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.” (Deuteronomy 6: 6-9)
The home is where we have the greatest influence. Children are shaped, culture is set, nurture is given (or not), spouses are empowered, and habits affirmed or amended. Godly homes are the single greatest reason for a strong faith. This is God’s intention and design. In this context of spiritual and emotional nurture, empathy, and love for one another, the impact is far greater than we can imagine. This is worth bonus points!
What churches can do for;
- Synergise church, home and school strategies so that all have the same vision and purpose.
- Partner with and support families— help them build strong marriages and quality family relationships by not overscheduling too many church programs.
- Equip and resource them for every Milestone or life stage of their children.
- Demonstrate family faith practices and traditions and provide at home resources.
- Resource and equip parents to become authentic disciples of Jesus.
- Equip and resource adults to take responsibility of their own spiritual growth.
- Provide small group environments for further spiritual growth and maturity.
- Equip adults to understand biblical values and implement them practically in everyday life.
- Equip adults to become disciplers of others.
- Help adults to know God’s calling and purpose for them, and support them as they pursue it.
How Families can empower each other
- Take ownership for growing a strong family – spiritually, socially, emotionally and physically.
- Model a life of faith and trust in Jesus, and share the journey with your children to equip, encourage and teach humble submission to God.
- Actively look to grow your children to reflect the values and character of Jesus.
- Ensure a Godly culture in your home through worships, prayer, mission, service, and a Christ-centered lifestyle.
- Empower your children with skills to develop and support their own relationship with God – prayer, Bible study skills, memory verses, meditation, ministering and sharing.
- Connect with the church and school to complement each other’s ministry.
How Couples can empower each other
- Actively look to love, support, invest in and grow your partner spiritually.
- Welcome your partner’s love, support and investment in your spirituality.
- Take responsibility for developing a strong relationship by listening, understanding, sharing openly, and prayer.
- Openly discuss you faith journeys together for encouragement, support, accountability and celebration.
- Develop a Godly culture in your home through worships, prayer, service, and a Christ-centered lifestyle.
- Actively seek God in all decisions, then reflect on the outcomes together and celebrate God’s goodness.
“The single most important social influence on the religious and spiritual lives of adolescents is their parents.” (Vern L Bengtson, Religion and Faith, 2013)